The Archive is part of the library's holdings and mainly documents the Institute's development and research activities since its reopening in 1953. Older items in the collection relate to the Institute's earlier history and its buildings. It also contains archival documents regarding the founder Henriette Hertz (1846–1913), the first Directors Ernst Steinmann (1866–1934) and Leo Bruhns (1884–1957), and the history of the Institute during the Nazi era.
The Archive is administered and maintained by Dr. Lothar Sickel.
Some of the documents relating to the Institute's history are also located in the Archive of the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft in Berlin-Dahlem. Moreover, the Archive contains various bequests by persons highly regarded in the field such as Joseph Croquison, Wolfgang Lotz, Ludwig Schudt, Heinrich Mathias Schwarz, Ernst Steinmann and Franz Graf Wolff Metternich. Particularly worthy of mention are the scholarly bequests made by Friedrich Noack (1858–1930) and Richard Krautheimer (1897–1994).
The Archive can be consulted with the approval of the Head of the Library: Golo Maurer.
The Digital Archive is still under construction. The following are already available for viewing:
Friedrich Noack's Schedarium of Artists in Rome
The card index assembled by German journalist and art historian Friedrich Noack (1858–1930) was digitalised in 2006 and indexed by name. It is a collection of data which primarily relates to German artists and travellers in Rome and largely consists of shorthand notes (Gabelsberger). The data have been stored in an eXist database, while the scans are accessible through a web interface. Schede Noack
Friedrich Noack's Chronology of Germanica in Rome
A detailed, handwritten chronology compiled by Friedrich Noack for his work Das Deutschtum in Rom seit dem Ausgang des Mittelalters [Germanica in Rome since the end of the Middle Ages] is available here in PDF format:
Detailed chronology of Germanica in Rome (PDF)